These Civil War quotes, from people like Abraham Lincoln, General Robert E. Lee, and Ulysses S. Grant give us the opportunity to see the pivotal war through their eyes. There were many causes for the Civil War, which ran from 1861-1865, and their words touch on several of them.
The first issue that contributed to the Civil War was slavery. The Civil War quotes about slavery come from politicians and generals from both sides of the argument. However, there are a few quotes from John H. Brown (an abolitionist) whose words are especially powerful.
Tied up with the issue of slavery, was the South’s distaste for Lincoln (mostly due to his anti-slavery views). He was elected president, despite not even being on the ballot in ten of the southern states, and this made people angry.
These Civil War quotes will make great additions to your essay or paper. Read through to the end for some more interesting facts about the Civil War.
Don’t forget to also check out these war quotes from writers, politicians, and more.
Civil War Quotes From Abraham Lincoln
1. “That we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain.” ― Abraham Lincoln
2. “There is no need of bloodshed and war. There is no necessity for it.” ― Abraham Lincoln
3. “The hen is the wisest of all the animal creation, because she never cackles until the egg is laid.” ― Abraham Lincoln
4. “The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here, but it can never forget what they did here.” ― Abraham Lincoln
5. “From these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion.” ― Abraham Lincoln
6. “Now we are engaged in a great Civil War, testing whether that nation or any nation so conceived and so
Mental.guide is your guide in the world of psychology. In our online-journal you will find answers to many questions: how to overcome stress and depression, how to control your worry, how to manage anxiety and phobia, how to start loving and respecting yourself and many others.
Here you will get pieces of advice from the psychologists who will help you understand yourself better and start living in a harmony with this world around. Everyday updates are waiting for you here. So, if your feel upset, depressed and worried our psycho guide is ready to help you! We are your online help that is always at hand.
Owner: SNOWLAND s.r.o.
Registration certificate 06691200
16200, Na okraji 381/41, Veleslavín, 162 00 Praha 6